On and about Bonsai


tisdag 21 juli 2015

Repotting an Alnus

This is a tree I got from the forest about 3 years ago. Its an Alnus Glutinosa, Common Alder or Klibbal in  Swedish.
This kind of tree grows very much and likes to shoot out new branches from places you dont want it to grow new branches from. But you can prune it back. Hard.


I choped it back from 2 meterns down to 45 cm of height. I repoted it 2 years ago. The soil became very dry this year. The surface was repeling all of the water. All of the water ran down the sides and it accumulated it on the bottom of the pot. This is why all of the root development was at the bottom, as you can see.


This is because of the chicken pellets manure I use. When it breaks down, it cloggs the good drainage properties of the bonsai soil and prevents the water from reach the inside of the pot.

So I repoted it. I cut 50 persent of the size of the root mass (or what was left of it) But it was time for it to be planted in its bonsai training pot, with better bonsai soil. I didn´t performed any pruning of the leafes and branches this time.




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar